Stylish musings with a side order of apple chunks.

2009-11-26

Shades of Thanksgiving

My favorite selection of photos so far. Wearing: Silence + Noise velvet dress, black tights, White House/Black Market sweater, Etienne Aigner boots, assortment of jewelry.























But in other news, today is Thanksgiving in the United States, and well, many of you will be snarfing away on some delicious turkey. (I won't because I'm a vegetarian, but my house will be full of people eating some poor bloated bird later anyway.) I ask that all of you take a moment to remember that we are extremely lucky to be able to sit at our computers day after day, blogging about beautiful art (see above). There is an innumerable amount of people in this world who do not have this luxury, or the luxury to baste a turkey, or the luxury to even know what a turkey is.

According to Food4Africa.org, "More than 1.2 billion people—one in every five on Earth—survive on less than $1 a day." Can you imagine that? Take a group of fifteen relatives on Turkey Day and if you use that statistic, three of those relatives represent the fifth of the world's population that lives on less than one dollar a day. Out of the "six billion people in the world, at least 1.2 billion do not have access to safe drinking water" and if that doesn't make you cringe, read this: "More than 2.4 billion people do not have proper sanitation facilities, and more than 2.2 million people die each year from diseases caused by polluted water and filthy sanitation conditions."

We have an obligation to our global neighbors. This holiday season, I urge every one of you to reach out to someone in need. I have a few personal favorite organizations:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Of course, these are only a few of the countless great NGOs out there. So please, even if you only donate $1, you'll be helping someone, somewhere.

3 comments:

  1. HI DARLING, LOVE YOUR BLOG, YOU ROCK! DO YOU JAZZ TOO? LOL ;)
    FOLLOWING YOU, FOLLOW ME TOO!

    @ MAISONCHAPLIN.BLOGSPOT.COM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the lovely comment on my blog girl!!

    I really love love your velvet dress with that gorgeous necklace. you look so beautiful <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ MAISON CHAPLIN - Thanks so much! I certainly do haha. And naturally, I'll be checking your blog out!

    @ Valencia Lia - AWW thanks <3 I'm so flattered!

    ReplyDelete

... Have I inspired you?

No? Well... um... this is awkward, kind of.

Related Posts with Thumbnails